Many people who are injured in accidents can (and do) successfully represent themselves and manage to obtain a fair settlement without the help of a personal injury attorney; in some instances cases can be settled out of court to the satisfaction of both parties, especially if the damages are relatively minor. But in cases where the injuries or damages are more severe things can rapidly become far more complicated and unless you have specific legal training you are likely unfamiliar with all the laws pertaining to personal injury claims. The insurance companies on the other hand know every legal loophole, and their attorneys have years of experience in these cases.
When someone suffers an injury as the result of somebody else's action or negligence it may be expected that the person or their insurance company will step up and offer a fair settlement. Unfortunately, that rarely happens. In fact, people often refuse to accept responsibility and the insurance companies themselves profit from under compensating injury victims. Insurance companies will typically do everything they can to take advantage of you and to effect the lowest possible settlement, while attempting to elicit statements from you that will damage your position if you ultimately decide to go to the courts.
In many cases the skills of an experienced personal injury lawyer (and the threat to an insurance company that such a lawyer may present) are well worth the money needed for that lawyer to represent you. You may need a lawyer because of complex legal rules involved in your particular claim, or if the severity of your injuries require your compensation to vary greatly from the norm. Or the insurance company may simply refuse to settle a matter in good faith. A personal injury attorney should have direct experience in cases like yours and can tell you at the outset whether it is worthwhile to pursue legal action. If you are unlikely to prevail, you don't need to incur the time and expense of preparing for litigation.
- An experienced personal injury attorney knows exactly how to build your case, negotiate it with an insurance company and, if necessary, has the knowledge and legal training required to handle your case in trial.
- They have access to investigators with experience in specialized areas, and will study all aspects of your case.
- They can also be more objective about your case, avoiding rash decisions that could affect the ultimate settlement.
- A personal injury lawyer has years of experience working with other attorneys and can deal more effectively and expediently with opposing counsel.
- Attorneys are used to working with insurance companies and know their tactics: they will not be pressured to settle for an unsatisfactory amount.
Insurance adjusters are trained to offer as low a settlement amount as possible for injuries; finding effective legal assistance as soon as possible can insure that your rights to compensation are protected. Hiring an attorney who practices personal injury law on a regular basis can ensure that your rights are protected.
Brent Cordell practices exclusively in the area of personal injury law. His number one focus is helping people with severe injuries get the legal representation they desire. Throughout his career, Mr. Cordell has helped thousands of injured people get the just compensation they deserve.
If you or someone you know has been injured through the fault of another party, contact us at www.cordell-law.com or call 1-844-8LEGAL8 (1-844-853-4258) for a free consultation.